Note: A printable version of this information is available here.
What is Westside Central Office?
Westside Central Office is an Alcoholics Anonymous service office that involves partnership among groups in a community—just as Alcoholics Anonymous groups themselves are partnerships of individuals. Westside Central Office carries out certain functions common to all the groups—functions which are best handled by a centralized office—and it is maintained, supervised, and supported by these groups in their general interest. It exists to aid the groups in their common purpose of carrying the A.A. message to the alcoholic who still suffers.
What Does Westside Central Office Do?
Westside Central Office serves the western Portland Oregon metropolitan area by providing a means for alcoholics to contact Alcoholics Anonymous, providing a way for the public to contact the fellowship and become acquainted with the services of Alcoholics Anonymous, providing activities from time to time for members, relatives, and friends of Alcoholics Anonymous and promoting unity and cooperation among Alcoholics Anonymous groups in the area.
Westside Central Office Services
- Answer telephone calls from alcoholics who need help
- Obtain the services of Twelfth Steppers to assist alcoholics who require aid
- Maintain and publish a meeting directory
- Maintain an inventory of A.A. Grapevine and A.A. Conference approved literature for purchase by individuals, groups, and the public
- Maintain the Westside Central Office website
- Cooperate with other A.A. service structures including Districts, other Intergroup/Central Offices, Oregon Area 58, and the General Service Office (GSO) in New York.
- Cooperate with other community agencies that deal with alcoholics
- Maintain listing of Central Office Representatives and Alternates
- Provide activities for members of Alcoholics Anonymous, their families, and friends
What is a Central Office Representative?
Central Office Representatives (Co Reps) are elected by their A.A. home groups. They attend the monthly Westside Central Office (WCO) business meeting, represent their group and report back to their group the activities of the WCO. An active CO Rep or, in their absence, their Alternate, may make motions, take part in discussion, and vote. Being part of the WCO business meeting, they are responsible for making decisions affecting the Central Office. Click here to learn more about Co Reps. Click here to learn more about the WCO Service Structure.
How Can I Help?
Making a Seventh Tradition Contribution
Besides contributing time and energy to the Westside Central Office (WCO), A.A. members and groups may also make a financial contribution. The WCO is funded exclusively by the voluntary contributions of A.A. groups and members. No contribution is too small. Click here to learn how to make a monetary contribution to WCO.